When you spurn traditional furniture for something more modern and contemporary, it can feel like you’re taking a risk.
Here are six important things to think about when you embark on buying contemporary furniture.
1. Going Natural with Contemporary Furniture
When people think of contemporary furniture it often conjures up images of uncomfortable perspex or metal.
However, more traditional materials like; wood, stone and leather can be used to give you a great modern look, without compromising on style or comfort.
A perfect example of how leather can be crafted into something modern looking is our very own contemporary butterfly chair which offers an iconic design without compromising style or comfort.
2. Make a statement
With unique textures and sculptural designs, you can make your furniture stand out and be noticed – some of our pieces look like works of art, perfect for creating that ‘wow’ factor.
For an eye-catching furniture piece that can offer a dramatic focal point in any setting, our reclaimed teak root bench makes the perfect choice.
3. Fitting in with your décor
Got a neutral hued home? Choose bespoke furniture in natural fibres and with a more sedate palette, such as creams, beiges and greys, and they’ll fit nicely into your surroundings, without clashing.
4. Be tactile
Alluring furniture just begs to be touched.
Look for something that has a pleasing feel, such as a warm stone, soft wood or wicker in lovely flowing shapes.
Touching your furniture is a great way to assess its quality, but also a fantastic way to understand what you enjoy interacting with. This is especially important if you use the item everyday.
5. Choose Furniture Made from Environmentally Friendly Materials
If you’re searching for a piece of contemporary furniture that won’t have too much of an impact on the environment, then look consider the following:
- Furniture made from reclaimed wood; our reclaimed teak coffee table and Bespoke Saman dining table not only look beautiful, but are environmentally sound too because the wood used to make is recovered from old buildings and given a new lease of life as a luxury contemporary table.
- Driftwood; this washes up on the shore naturally and is perfect to put towards making something that is both decorative and truly unique. Our driftwood mirrors make a perfect addition to any room.
- Teak wood; reclaimed wood, salvaged during the pruning of larger trees makes a fantastic material to create benches, chairs and all sorts of furniture. Our Branchwood bench is made from recycled teak wood pruned from larger trees.
- Teak root is a durable natural material which is already weathered making it perfect for creating furniture; We source salvage our teak root from being burnt and give it a new lease of life by creating contemporary furniture like our Twisted teak root bench, teak wood stool and our stunning glass topped teak root coffee table.
Teak root table lamps and our pendant collection
Teak & petrified wood platters, plates and coasters
Essential bathroom furniture; towel rails and towel ladders
Bespoke benches and chairs and teak stools & additional seating
Teak root washstands and vanity units
Contemporary garden furniture; loungers, sofas and day beds
6. Choose the Best Quality You Can
It’s essential you buy something that has been made using good quality materials.
The better the quality of materials and the better the design of the furniture that you buy, the longer it will last.
Everything we sell has been hand sourced by us to ensure that what you buy is genuine and will last for years to come.
For something that feels truly unique, but with a handmade feel, come and look at our select range of luxury contemporary furniture.
There’s even more available to buy online from our contemporary furniture range.
Either pop into the Burford showroom in Oxfordshire, or Request a Brochure.Back to News